Thursday, February 07, 2008

My Spacing

So, I used to have a Myspace account - but was introduced to Facebook and liked it much better. Consequently, I discontinued my Myspace account...But, for this assignment I'll re-register.


Unfortunately, Myspace isn't allowed in the Children's department. So, I had to do this assignment in the back - didn't want to be a hypocrite!

Anyway, I think this social networking is really fun and a fantastic idea for Library's to tap into that. We all know that is the site for all young adults and adults to visit. It's a creative resource to outreach to the young adults (not to children, as I just learned that Myspace doesn't allow users under the age of 14 - see Internet Safety - Internet 101).

I liked what David Lee King said in his article, "More Myspace Thinking":
But wait! Can’t a library be slightly devious, and register as a band? Heck - right now we’re registering as a teenager (ex - Denver Public Library is described as an 18 year old female). So why not register as a band? That way, you can download an audio file (I think up to 4 of them, actually). And what could those files be? How about:
*A compilation of 30-second samples of new music at the library?
*Your hip library podcast on upcoming teen books
*A regular what’s hot at the library podcast
*original music from local bands
*etc

What a great idea! Another cool thing I noticed was that on some of the actual Library Myspace accounts they had real authors as "Friends" - like Meg Cabot and Stephenie Meyer, etc. Good publicity for the authors! Pretty cool - as long as you stay safe!

1 comments:

Radical Rex said...

The hypocrisy troubled me as well, I debated long and hard about if it were "right" to create a myspace profile while I was on desk. I like you blog Elizabeth, how do you make it do the little squiggly lines and the pencil at the end of each post?